Reversible and Irreversible

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michael Du 1E

Reversible and Irreversible

Postby Michael Du 1E » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Can anyone please clarify the differences between the reversible and irreversible process? thank you

madawy

Re: Reversible and Irreversible

Postby madawy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 pm

In a reversible process, at each point along the process path, the system is only slightly removed from being in thermodynamic equilibrium with its surroundings. So the path can be considered as a continuous sequence of thermodynamic equilibrium states. For an irreversible process, the system is not close to thermodynamic equilibrium with its surroundings at each point along the path.

At any point along the path of a reversible process, both the system and the surroundings can be returned to their original states without significantly affecting anything else. This cannot be accomplished if the process is irreversible.

Postby 405268063 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm

In an irreversible reaction, reactants will create a product that cannot be then turned back into reactants.

Rafsan Rana 1A

Postby Rafsan Rana 1A » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Also, irreversible processes almost always do more work than reversible processes.

Juana Abana 1G

Postby Juana Abana 1G » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 pm

Michael Du 1E wrote:Can anyone please clarify the differences between the reversible and irreversible process? thank you

Yes, I am confused on this as well.

Michael Du 1E

Postby Michael Du 1E » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:14 am

Juana Abana 1G wrote:
Michael Du 1E wrote:Can anyone please clarify the differences between the reversible and irreversible process? thank you

Yes, I am confused on this as well.

I think I understand it now. When you're given a constant external pressure, it would be considered irreversible because once the gas expands the piston outward, the external pressure wouldn't be able to push it back inward as the pressure is constant. We would use the equation of W=-PdeltaV for this.
As for reversible, the pressure CAN change, meaning if the gas pushes the piston outward and the pressure decreases, there will also be a change in the external pressure as it will decrease in order to reach equilibrium. The equation we would use for this is w=-nRTln(V2/V1)

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”