Figuring out which one is oxidation and reductionand 5e-

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cristian Cortes 1L

Figuring out which one is oxidation and reductionand 5e-

Postby Cristian Cortes 1L » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:13 pm

Lecture #17 shows an equation and break down of which one is oxidation and reduction. From first glance and even time trying to see how or why, I am still having trouble, can anyone help? Also, where does the 5e- come from and move around.

Ryan Hoang 1D

Re: Figuring out which one is oxidation and reductionand 5e-

Postby Ryan Hoang 1D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:19 pm

Yeah, so think of OIL RIG when you first do oxidation and reduction. OIL RIG stands for: oxygen is loss, and reduction is gain (in electrons). So just try seeing how the electrons interact within the context of the equation to produce this oxidation/reduction.

Adrienne Chan 1G

Postby Adrienne Chan 1G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:46 pm

Hi Cristian, are you talking about the permanganate and Fe 2+ in water equation? Lavelle breaks down the redox equation into its two components: the oxidation and reduction components. In oxidation: 5 Fe2+ -> 5 Fe3+ + 5e- we see that each Fe atom is long an electron, for a total loss of five electrons total. Then, we proceed to look at the reduction half-reaction. Due to the different charges present, in order to get from our reactants to our products, we need some more electrons. In MnO4-, each O has a -2 charge, so that's a -8 charge total from oxygen. To achieve the -1 charge listed, Mn must be +7. Then, looking at the products side, our Mn now has a charge of +2. Mn has been reduced from +7 to +2 charge, meaning that 5e- have been added. Hope this helps, let me know if you need any further clarification!

Lorena_Morales_1K

Postby Lorena_Morales_1K » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 pm

I believe the 5e- is for trying to cancel out both sides of the reaction.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”