Temperature of sample constant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Do Yeun Park

Temperature of sample constant

Postby Do Yeun Park » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:01 pm

In the lecture, Dr. Lavelle mentioned that the temperature of a sample remains constant even though heat is being supplied. Could someone explain what this means?

Mikayla 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Temperature of sample constant

Postby Mikayla 2G » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:29 pm

I believe this occurs during a transition phase, such as boiling. During boiling, the liquid water temperature is 100C. As heat is added, the water begins to vaporize, meaning water molecules are going from liquid to gas, when each molecule makes this transition, they take energy with them, therefore as heat energy is added to the system, it is being removed at the same rate by the vaporized water molecules, so the temperature of the liquid water stays the same.

Noa Popko 3I

Postby Noa Popko 3I » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 pm

This happens during a phase transition. The heat that is supplied is going toward breaking down the bonds between molecules (for example to transition something from a liquid to a solid) rather than heating up the system, so there isn't any change in the temperature.

Andrew Nguyen 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Andrew Nguyen 1E » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:30 am

Hi,
Within an experimental context, I think this means that a sample's temperature is initially before the reaction begins and once the reaction reaches equilibrium at which point the temperature of the sample should be the same as it was initially (making it appear constant) while the heat generated by the reaction is released and detected within the sample's surroundings.

Clarence Clavite 2K

Postby Clarence Clavite 2K » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:43 am

During the transition phase of the reaction, the energy in the form of heat goes to breaking the bonds instead of raising the temperature. Once the bonds are broken is when the heat begins to raise the temperature.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”