Work?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tsii 2H

Work?

Postby Tsii 2H » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:57 pm

What exactly is "work" in thermochemistry? I know Professor Lavelle mentioned it briefly in the most recent lecture, and he will most likely touch on it again but I'm just slightly curious what "work" is all about.

Alan Nguyen 2I

Re: Work?

Postby Alan Nguyen 2I » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:25 pm

Just from an online search, I found that work is "the quantity of energy transferred from one system to another." Relating to thermodynamics, I think this mainly deals with the transfer of heat in a reaction, since heat is a form of energy. This is related to the endothermic and exothermic reactions we have been discussing. I hope this helps!

Vincent Nguyen 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vincent Nguyen 3G » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:41 pm

Work generally refers to the transfer of mechanical energy between systems while heat refers to the transfer of thermal energy between systems. Work can more easily be conceptualized as something like pushing an object while heat would be conceptualized as thermal energy moving to your fingers when you touch a hot object. An interesting idea for bridging the gap between these two would be something like friction. Friction converts an object's mechanical energy (or work being done on it) into thermal energy (by releasing heat). Here are some useful links on this topic: https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Heat_vs_work
https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Supplemental_Modules_(Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry)/Thermodynamics/Chemical_Energetics/Energy%2C_Heat%2C_and_Work

Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby 105605391 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Work is formally defined as (W=F*d) where F= force in newtons and d= distance in meters, thus making the units for work N/m. N/m is also equal to kg *m^2 * s^-2 which is equal to 1 joule. This makes joules equal to 1 Newton per 1 meter which is the unit for work. The first law of thermodynamics states the change in energy of a system delta E is equal to Heat Q added to the system plus work W done on the system.

Brynn 2F

Postby Brynn 2F » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:49 am

Work is an interaction - or a transfer of energy- between the system and it's environment. It is positive when heat is transferred from the environment to the system and negative when heat is lost from the system to the environment.

Neha Mukund

Postby Neha Mukund » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:24 pm

With respect to thermodynamics, work is the quantity of energy transferred from one system to another.

Gianna Greco 1G

Postby Gianna Greco 1G » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:31 pm

Hi! Work has to do with energy being transferred during a chemical reaction. The work is positive when a reaction consumes energy and is negative when it releases energy.

Milan Vognarek 1A

Postby Milan Vognarek 1A » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:41 pm

Work is defined as the energy transferred to an object by a force along a certain displacement.

Diana Avalos

Postby Diana Avalos » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:23 pm

Work is the transfer of energy from one system to another!

Alyssa Cua 2J

Postby Alyssa Cua 2J » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:55 pm

Alan Nguyen 2I wrote:Just from an online search, I found that work is "the quantity of energy transferred from one system to another." Relating to thermodynamics, I think this mainly deals with the transfer of heat in a reaction, since heat is a form of energy. This is related to the endothermic and exothermic reactions we have been discussing. I hope this helps!

Super helpful explanation. Thank you!

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”