Practice problem 4A.7

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sydney Rohan 3G

Practice problem 4A.7

Postby Sydney Rohan 3G » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:59 pm

Can someone help me with this problem, please?

(a) Calculate the heat that must be supplied to a copper kettle of mass 400.0 g containing 300.0 g of water to raise its temperature from 20°C to the boiling point of water, 100°C. (b) What percentage of the heat is used to raise the temperature of the water?

I think that you are supposed to use the equation: q=mCs(delta T) and m=mass, Cs= heat capacity, and deltaT= the change in temperature, but what is the heat capacity and how do you find it?

Nancy Romo 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Practice problem 4A.7

Postby Nancy Romo 1E » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:40 pm

For this problem, I believe we are supposed to refer to table 4A.2, which gives common heat capacities. Example 4A.3 goes through a similar problem-solving process. The heat capacity is a ratio of the heat supplied to a system, over the change in temperature.

Ashley Johnson 2G

Re: Practice problem 4A.7

Postby Ashley Johnson 2G » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:45 pm

Heat capacity is the amount of heat required ot raise the temperature of an object by 1 degree celcius. In this problem, you would use the q=mcT formula you mentioned. You would have to do the equation for both water and copper, and then add those q values together to get the value to raise the temperature of water to 100 degrees celcius.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”