Do all substances stay at the same temperature during phase change?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rainy Liu Ruoshui_2K

Do all substances stay at the same temperature during phase change?

Postby Rainy Liu Ruoshui_2K » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:41 pm

I know that not all substances stay at the same temperature during their phase change. How do we calculate the absorbed energy in this case?

Aaron Kwan 3B

Re: Do all substances stay at the same temperature during phase change?

Postby Aaron Kwan 3B » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:19 pm

I think that for the scope of this class, we assume that substances stay at the same temperature during phase change.

In other words, superheating or supercooling, where the temperature can rise/drop a few degrees during phase change, is not assumed to happen.

Postby 405490807 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:58 pm

I think also in the image that was in the sides in which during the phase change the temperature line was flat we can assume that to be true for the examples and problems provided in this class.

Amy Wong 2F

Postby Amy Wong 2F » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:40 am

Like other people have said, I think for this class we assume that substances stay the same temperature when undergoing a phase change. That way when we examine heating curves, it's easier to define when the substance is changing phase (i.e. horizontal segment) versus changing temperature (sloped line segment).

Arya Bhalla 1H

Postby Arya Bhalla 1H » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:41 pm

The graph for temperature changes during phase changes shows a flat line in the transition from solid to liquid and liquid to gas. For the purpose of this class, we just assume that the temperature flatlines.

Martha Avila 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Martha Avila 1I » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:22 pm

Hello. So I am not 100% sure about all substances but for water I am pretty confident in saying that temperature changes during phase change. In the graph that Dr. Lavelle showed us we can see that there is a melting point at which the solid turns into a liquid and a boiling point in which a liquid turns into a vapor. In the graph we see the curve flatten and this flattening occurs when the amount of heat energy stays the same. However throughout both phase changes the temperature is changing. Hope this helps!

Kurosh Zamiri 1I

Postby Kurosh Zamiri 1I » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:34 pm

Hi! I'm not completely sure about all all substances, but in the scope of this class and in the case of water I believe that we can assume that during phase changes, the temperature will stay the same. This will help us identify when a phase change is occurring, such as in the graph that Professor Lavelle showed us during lecture.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”