Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

asheagg3I

Equation

Postby asheagg3I » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:02 pm

Hi,

Can someone explain the Qp= Cp(Delta t)(delta h) equation mentioned in the lecture? When is it used?

Sara Shimabukuro 1A

Re: Equation

Postby Sara Shimabukuro 1A » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pm

Hi,

The equation Qp=delta H=Cp(delta T) can be used to calculate the heat of the reaction and it means that heat of the reaction is equal to the change in enthalpy of the reaction which is equal to the heat capacity multiplied by the change in temperature.

Sophia Zhao

Postby Sophia Zhao » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:46 pm

The formula is used to calculate the amount of heat required to raise a certain quantity of substance by a certain temperature.

Hayley Vu

Postby Hayley Vu » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:49 pm

I couldn't find the equation that you are talking about, but I found one that looks similar: (deltaH) = qp = n*C*(deltaT)

This equation is used to calculate the change in heat (enthalpy) of a system when we change its temperature (deltaT). The expression given to solve for this is the moles of the substance, multiplied by the heat capacity of the substance (which can vary based on the phase state and whether pressure/volume is constant), multiplied by the change in temperature.

Arjan G 2H

Postby Arjan G 2H » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:15 pm

Hi! I believe the correct form of the equation you are thinking of is qp=deltaH=gCsp times deltaT. This equation can be used to find the change of heat, or enthalpy of a reaction, as qp equals deltaH, which is the standard variable representing enthalpy. G represents the mass of whatever substance is having its heat measured and Csp is the specific heat capacity for that certain substance. Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1g of that substance by 1 degree Celsius. Delta t represents the change in time, or what the change in the heat was after a certain amount of time. I hope this helps!

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”