Constant Temperature with Added Heat

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dahlia Kirov 3A

Constant Temperature with Added Heat

Postby Dahlia Kirov 3A » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:51 am

Hi!

I had a question that relates to water's heating curve. I understand that at specific points for conversions from one phase to another (like a melting point for solid to liquid and a boiling point for liquid to gas), the temperature is said to remain constant even though heat is being added. I do not understand exactly why we are allowed to assume temperature is not being affected by the added heat.

Megan Efhan 3A

Re: Constant Temperature with Added Heat

Postby Megan Efhan 3A » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:08 am

Hi! I believe it's because the added heat is being used as energy to facilitate a phase change and therefore the heat does not actually increase temperature.

Michelle_Sen_3H

Postby Michelle_Sen_3H » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:34 am

The zeroth law of thermodynamics says that no heat is transferred between two objects in thermal equilibrium; therefore, they are the same temperature.

dsmith1E

Postby dsmith1E » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:42 pm

The energy in the added heat is at work changing the phase of the compound – once the phase change is complete, then added heat increases the temperature.

Sophia Spallone 1A

Postby Sophia Spallone 1A » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:31 pm

When heat is added to a system to cause a phase change, that heat goes toward causing the phase change. It is my understanding that the heat will be used to cause the reactions that cause the phase change, so because it is used up, it does not stay and make the system warmer.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”