How can you tell if rxn is combustion, formation, or bond energy?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

kirsten clemente 1E

How can you tell if rxn is combustion, formation, or bond energy?

Postby kirsten clemente 1E » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:41 am

Hello,

I was on question 6 of Achieve Week 3&4 assignment, and I saw there are 3 different types of end products (combustion, formation, and bond energy?)

My first question is, are those three the only types of end products that can happen?

Also, I know that combustion always results in CO2 and H2O. But how can I tell if a reaction is a formation or bond change?

Katie_Vaca_2B

Re: How can you tell if rxn is combustion, formation, or bond energy?

Postby Katie_Vaca_2B » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:39 pm

hi!
I'm not sure about your first question, but for the second question, I know that the reaction is formation when the reactants are both pure and the elements are in their standard states. Also, there must be a single product with no coefficients. The reaction is bond energy only when the reaction breaks bonds without forming other bonds in the process.
For example, in the reaction C(g) + 4H(g) --> CH4(g), the reaction is the -4 x the bond energy of C-H.
I hope this helps :)

Jess Max 2F

Postby Jess Max 2F » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:46 pm

Katie_Vaca_2B wrote:hi!
I'm not sure about your first question, but for the second question, I know that the reaction is formation when the reactants are both pure and the elements are in their standard states. Also, there must be a single product with no coefficients. The reaction is bond energy only when the reaction breaks bonds without forming other bonds in the process.
For example, in the reaction C(g) + 4H(g) --> CH4(g), the reaction is the -4 x the bond energy of C-H.

What does it mean for the reactants to be pure and in their element's standard states? Also, you said that formation is only when there is a single product with no coefficients; is this including the Co2 and H2o or not including them as products? Hope this makes sense.

Katie_Vaca_2B

Postby Katie_Vaca_2B » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:40 pm

Jess Max 2F wrote:
Katie_Vaca_2B wrote:hi!

What does it mean for the reactants to be pure and in their element's standard states? Also, you said that formation is only when there is a single product with no coefficients; is this including the Co2 and H2o or not including them as products? Hope this makes sense.

For an element to be in their standard state, they would have to be in the form they take at a temp of 25 C and a pressure of 1 atm. For the reactants to be pure, it would simply mean they are not mixed compounds; they are of the same element such as H2. Producing CO2 and H2O I think would be from combustion, not formation. In formation, there would be only one compound for a product. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hope that makes sense !

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”