When to use the unit kJ/mol

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jonathan Zuo 2J

When to use the unit kJ/mol

Postby Jonathan Zuo 2J » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Im having trouble determining when I can just write my answer in kJ and when I need to write it in kJ/mol. For example, if im trying to calculate the standard enthalpy of the reaction by using standard enthalpies of formation, which are given in kJ/mol, would I write my final answer, the standard enthalpy of the reaction, with the units of kJ/mol? Or is just kJ fine because the reaction given requires or releases that many kJ.

Stevie Wisz

Re: When to use the unit kJ/mol

Postby Stevie Wisz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Commenting on this because I had the same question!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: When to use the unit kJ/mol

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi,

KJ/mol is used when you are describing the enthalpy of a reaction for 1 mole of a reactant/product.

Usually your final answer will be in KJ as you are calculating the enthalpy of a particular reaction for a given no. of moles.

For example - If you have nA + B --> C the enthalpy of this reaction will be in KJ and it indicates that the enthalpy is for n moles of A and not 1 mole.

Enthalpy of formation however is expressed in KJ/mole as it is defined as the enthalpy of reaction which leads to formation of 1 mole of that substance.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”