Question 2B winter 2011 midterm

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Question 2B winter 2011 midterm

Postby 204635822 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:15 pm

I dont understand the answer to this question.
The question says, "Container A is filled with 1.0 moles of the atoms of an ideal monatomic gas. container B, also a gas, has 1.0 does of atoms bound together as diatomic molecules that are mot vibrationally active. Container C, also a gas, has 1.0 moles of atoms bounds together as diatomic molecules that are vibrationally active. The containers all start at Ti and the temperature is increased to Tf. Rank the containers in order of increasing change in entropy. Explain your reasoning."
Shouldnt A have the least entropy because it is a monatomic gas?

Sumaiyah I 1E

Re: Question 2B winter 2011 midterm

Postby Sumaiyah I 1E » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Actually, it has the highest entropy. Think of it this way, if you have a diatomic molecule, it is larger, and as a result it will take less diatomic molecules to fill up a space. However, if you have a monoatomic molecule, it will take more individual molecules to fill up a space. Since more monoatomic molecules are needed to fill something up than diatomic molecules, there is more opportunity for disorder, or entropy. Does that make sense?

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”