Bond Enthalpies Question #1 Midterm

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bond Enthalpies Question #1 Midterm

Postby 704578485 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 pm

On question #1 of the midterm my method was to label and list the bonds of the reactants and the bonds of the products and compare the lists to see which bonds were formed/ broken. I then summed the bond enthalpies for the bonds formed and subtracted from it the sum of the bond enthalpies of the bonds broken. I got 1081kj for part 1 and -418kj for part 2 but these are incorrect. What is the process/answer for this problem?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 717 times

Re: Bond Enthalpies Question #1 Midterm

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:20 pm

704578485 wrote:On question #1 of the midterm my method was to label and list the bonds of the reactants and the bonds of the products and compare the lists to see which bonds were formed/ broken. I then summed the bond enthalpies for the bonds formed and subtracted from it the sum of the bond enthalpies of the bonds broken. I got 1081kj for part 1 and -418kj for part 2 but these are incorrect. What is the process/answer for this problem?

The correct answer for the A part is 7kj/mol and for the B part 45 kj/mol. Actually you should directly identify which bonds were formed/broken. I guess what you did wrong here is you didn't identify all the bond formed/broke correctly. If you still cannot the the correct answer please go to one of the office hour or ask your TA after discussion/lecture.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”