Having trouble with bond enthalpies of Q1B on Midterm

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Suk Jin Song 3L

Having trouble with bond enthalpies of Q1B on Midterm

Postby Suk Jin Song 3L » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:37 pm

For Question number 1B of the midterm, the answer key state that a C-C bond was broken but I cannot find that info on the figures.
I can see C-O and C-H bonds breaking and O-H and C-C bonds forming but not C-C bond breaking.

Can someone tell me how I can interpret that info based on the figure for the question?

A very very simple question that I fear there is a very easy answer to. But still wanted a clear answer.

Monica Hana 2G

Re: Having trouble with bond enthalpies of Q1B on Midterm

Postby Monica Hana 2G » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:27 am

For the compound in the reactants,
In Carbon (1), there is a C=O, C-O, and C1-C2 bond.
In Carbon (2), there is a C-H, C-O, and C2-C3 bond. (As well as the C1-C2 bond, which we've already accounted for)
In Carbon (3), there is a C-O, and 2 C-H bonds. (As well as the C2-C3 bond, which we've already accounted for)
There is also an O-H bond, and 4 O-P bonds.

For the compounds in the products,
In Carbon (1), there is a C=O, C-O, and C1-C2 bond.
In Carbon (2), there is a C-O and C2=C3 bond. (As well as the C1-C2 bond, which we've already accounted for)
In Carbon (3), there are 2 C-H bonds. (As well as the C2=C3 bond, which we've already accounted for)
There is also 4 O-P bonds and 2O-H bonds.

What I did from there is cross out all of the bonds that were repeated in both the products and reactants. I wrote down any bonds in the reactants that weren't accounted for in the products in the list of "bonds broken" and I did the opposite for the list of "bonds formed." Then I found the bond enthalpies by using the values from the table and multiplying each value by the number of those bonds.

Does that make sense?

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”