Textbook Problem 4.3 Calculation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Student 1H

Textbook Problem 4.3 Calculation

Postby Student 1H » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:43 pm

Hello, I was struggling with this equation about the enthalpy of fusion of iodine:
Screenshot 2024-03-16 232927.png

How can the enthalpy of vaporization of liquid iodine and the heat capacity of liquid iodine hep us find the enthalpy of fusion of iodine. We also have that the enthalpy of fusion for solid iodine is 0 kJ/mol and gas iodine is 62.4 kJ/mol. The answer is 12.71 kJ/mol.

I am not sure how to solve this problem, but I am guessing that we sum the enthalpy of fusion for liquid iodine from 25 degrees Celsius to boiling, and the enthalpy of fusion. I am not getting the right answer though.

Averie Moore 2F

Re: Textbook Problem 4.3 Calculation

Postby Averie Moore 2F » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:31 am

To solve this problem, you would first calculate the difference in temperature between the boiling point and 25 C and convert to Kelvin. Then you would calculate the head absorbed by iodine during this change using its heat capacity. Then you would use the enthalpy of vaporization to find the heat absorbed during vaporization. To find your final answer, you would subtract the heat absorbed during vaporization from the total heat absorbed during fusion.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”