Why is using bond enthalpies the least accurate method of finding reaction enthalpies?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

John Huang 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Why is using bond enthalpies the least accurate method of finding reaction enthalpies?

Postby John Huang 1G » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:57 pm

I remember Lavelle discussing this, but I can't seem to recall why this is the case.

Cooper1C

Re: Why is using bond enthalpies the least accurate method of finding reaction enthalpies?

Postby Cooper1C » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Bond enthalpies are averages of many bonds.

Harsha 1J

Re: Why is using bond enthalpies the least accurate method of finding reaction enthalpies?

Postby Harsha 1J » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm

And I think the bond enthalpies are values under standard conditions, which might not always be the case.

Sarkis Sislyan 1D

Postby Sarkis Sislyan 1D » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Only diatomic molecules have accurate bond enthalpy measurements, all other molecules' bond enthalpies are taken as averages

William Xu Dis 1D

Postby William Xu Dis 1D » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:13 pm

While formation enthalpies are very precise, bond enthalpies are calculated as the average of many bonds. Even if you take the bond C-H, there are many different ways it can be formed into in different molecules.

Sarah Sharma 2J

Postby Sarah Sharma 2J » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am

Bond enthalpies are composed of multiple averages and therefore are an overall average. Whereas other values nad methods such as enthalpy of formation are much more accurate.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”