standard enthalpy of formation  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ekayana Sethi 2K
Been upvoted: 1 time

standard enthalpy of formation

Postby Ekayana Sethi 2K » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm a little confused about the difference between enthalpy of formation and enthalpy of reaction? could someone explain please?

Yang Chen 2E

Re: standard enthalpy of formation

Postby Yang Chen 2E » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:40 pm

This is what I wrote down:

when all reactants and products are in their standard states at 1 ATM of pressure, the reaction enthalpy is called the standard reaction enthalpy (ΔH°)

the standard reaction enthalpy for the formation of one molecule of a substance from its elements in their most stable form is called the standard enthalpy of formation (ΔHf°) (ALWAYS IN kJ/mol)

Gwyneth Huynh 1J

Postby Gwyneth Huynh 1J » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 pm

From what I understand, the reaction enthalpy measures the heat taken up or given off by any reaction with reactants and products. However, the enthalpy of formation measures the change in enthalpy between a substance and the elements that make up that substance in their standard state.

Simrina Desar Dis 1H

Postby Simrina Desar Dis 1H » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Also,
the standard enthalpy of formation of an element in its most stable form is zero.
This could be used to help distinguish between the two.

Scott Chin_1E

Re: standard enthalpy of formation  [ENDORSED]

Postby Scott Chin_1E » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Adding onto previous answers, I believe you will be using standard reaction enthalpies (from intermediate reactions) to calculate the enthalpy of formation (referring to the final reaction you wish to calculate for) in Hess's Law.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”