Bond Enthalpy vs Enthalpy of Formation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shirley Liu 2I

Bond Enthalpy vs Enthalpy of Formation

Postby Shirley Liu 2I » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Why is it that when you calculate delta Hrxn with enthalpy of formation you subtract sum of products from sum of reactants but with bond enthalpy its reversed and you subtract bonds of reactants from bonds of products? What is the conceptual meaning behind it, because I feel like products-reactants is usually used/makes most sense to me?

Arta Kasaeian 2C

Re: Bond Enthalpy vs Enthalpy of Formation

Postby Arta Kasaeian 2C » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:34 pm

So essentially with Bond Enthalpy the concept is the change between the two values so it’s final (products) - initial (reactants). However with Enthalpy of formation we calculate the sum of the values of both sides, however when bonds are formed (in the product) the value is turned to negative. Therefor it ends up as H formation= H reactants + H products (which are usually negative).

Matthew Tran 1H

Re: Bond Enthalpy vs Enthalpy of Formation

Postby Matthew Tran 1H » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:54 pm

When you calculate the overall enthalpy of a reaction using bond enthalpies, you are not subtracting the bond enthalpies of the products from the reactants. You are summing up all the bond enthalpies. The reason why the bond enthalpies on the products side are always negative is because bonds are being formed, which is an exothermic process, while on the reactants side, bonds are being broken, which require heat. Keep in mind that bond enthalpies are usually given in terms of the heat required to break a bond, so you would need to add a negative sign when bonds are being formed on the products side.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”