Method #3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mya Majewski 1L

Method #3

Postby Mya Majewski 1L » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:49 pm

I am enrolled in the 11am lecture, but on Monday I had to go to the 1pm and we didn't finish covering Method #3 on Friday in the 11am, could explain explain this one to me and maybe send a picture of the notes from lecture? Thanks!

Emily Ng_4C

Re: Method #3

Postby Emily Ng_4C » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Method #3 is focused on the heat capacity, which is the heat required to raise the temp of an object by 1 degree C. The change in heat or enthalpy can be solved by this equation: qp = enthalpy = nCpdeltaT (The p's are subscripts). Cp represents the molar heat capacity at constant pressure. DeltaT is the change in temperature. N represents the mols. Q represents heat. An important thing to note is that there is a system and the surrounding. If heat is given off from the system (deltah = -), then the surroundings absorb the heat. Thus, qsys + qsurr = 0.

Ricky Ma DIS 4E

Re: Method #3

Postby Ricky Ma DIS 4E » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:26 pm

I think method 3 just gives you the deltaH of formation for the reactions and the deltaH of formation for the products in which you just do deltaH of the products minus the delta H of the reactants. That will give you the overall enthalpy change. It is probably the most straight forward one out of the three.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”