Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am


Postby Meachelle_Lum_1I » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:05 pm

When finding deltaH of the rxn, when are our units kJ and when are the units kJ/mol? I thought Hf is kJ/mol, but in some cases Hrxn overall is kJ/mol as well?

Kayla Vo 1B
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 am

Re: Units

Postby Kayla Vo 1B » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:27 pm

I believe by definition that the standard enthalpy of formation (Hf) represents the standard reaction's enthalpy per mole for the formation of a substance from its elements in their most stable form. Hf therefore is represented in units of kJ/mol. In addition, bond dissociation energies (aka bond enthalpies) are the amount of energy required to break one mole of a bond and therefore are also represented as kJ/mol.

Since we know that enthalpy (delta H) equals to qp (heat, constant pressure), delta H can represented as kJ. However, if you are dealing with molar enthalpy, delta H is in kJ/mol, and if you are looking at the standard enthalpy of reaction, the delta H rxn is in kJ/mol as well. The units therefore basically depend on what the problem is asking you to solve.

Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Units

Postby BenJohnson1H » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Sometimes one is needed to find the other, it depends on what units the answer must be in and sometimes conversions must be made accordingly

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests