enthalpy units

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 am

enthalpy units

Postby 005199302 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am

When solving for the change of enthalpy of a reaction either using bond enthalpies or enthalpy of formation, should our answer be in kj/mol or just kj?

Grace Kim 1J
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: enthalpy units

Postby Grace Kim 1J » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:00 pm

If it's written as kJ/mol, it's usually used when you are describing the enthalpy of a reaction for 1 mole of a reactant/product. You also use kJ/mol when dealing with various types of enthalpies associated with individual molecules (heat of vaporization, heat of fusion, q = mcT, etc.) Usually your answer is in KJ when you are calculating the enthalpy of a particular reaction for a given number of moles of substance.

Hope that made sense!

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests