Bond enthalpies of diatomic molecules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Malia Shitabata 1F

Bond enthalpies of diatomic molecules

Postby Malia Shitabata 1F » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:05 pm

In class, Dr. Lavelle said bond enthalpies of diatomic molecules are accurate. What is the relevance of this ie where does it come into play when solving equations? I'm confused because he also said calculating reaction enthalpies from the bond enthalpies is also the least accurate method.

Sydney Myers 4I

Re: Bond enthalpies of diatomic molecules

Postby Sydney Myers 4I » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 pm

All he meant by that is to just keep in mind that every bond enthalpy is slightly different, so when we are measuring a bond's enthalpy, we only know that its truly accurate if it's being measured from a diatomic molecule. A different bond, such as C-H, is going to be present in many different molecules, and in all of those molecules it will have a slightly different bond enthalpy.

KNguyen_1I

Re: Bond enthalpies of diatomic molecules

Postby KNguyen_1I » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:22 pm

He said that to further clarify why the bond method is the least accurate as the only bonds we can accurate know are those from diatomic molecules, everything else merely an approximation. It doesn't really have much to do in the way of impeding our ability to math this stuff, it's just a qualitative way of further explaining a concept.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”