Standard enthalpies of formation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sarah Blake-2I

Standard enthalpies of formation

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 am

When finding the total enthalpy of the reaction and you can use the method of standard enthalpies of formation, do you multiply each enthalpy of formation value by the stoichiometric coefficient?

Sarah Zhari 1D

Re: Standard enthalpies of formation

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:44 am

Yes, I think that you would have to multiply them by their stoichiometric coefficients.

Sofia Ban

Postby Sofia Ban » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:47 am

Yes, you would make sure the reaction is balanced first so that you can multiply the standard enthalpies of formation of each product/reactants by the corresponding stoichiometric coefficient. Then proceed with the equation where you subtract the sum of these values (reactants) from that of products.

Nicholas_Gladkov_2J

Postby Nicholas_Gladkov_2J » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Sarah Blake-2I wrote:When finding the total enthalpy of the reaction and you can use the method of standard enthalpies of formation, do you multiply each enthalpy of formation value by the stoichiometric coefficient?

Yes! To find the standard enthalpy of the reaction, you multiply the standard enthalpy of formation of all of the reactants by their corresponding stoichiometric coefficient, then do the same for the products. Sum the reactants and the products, then subtract the reactants from the products, and you are left with the Standard enthalpy of the reaction.

Hannah Pham

Postby Hannah Pham » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:10 pm

Yes, balance the equation and the multiply the standard enthalpy of formation of products and reactants by their stoichiometric coefficients.

Maika Ngoie 1B

Postby Maika Ngoie 1B » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 pm

Yes, you multiply them each by their respective stoichiometric coefficient.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”