molar Gibbs free energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

vpena_1I

molar Gibbs free energy

Postby vpena_1I » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 pm

For the change in molar Gibbs free energy of NH3(l) --> NH3(g), how is it that you can plug in any temperature for ΔG=ΔH-TΔS when the ΔH and ΔS are the change in enthalpy/entropy of vaporization? I thought you would need to use the specific temperature at which NH3 vaporizes to be able to use ΔHvap and ΔSvap.

Kevin Xu 4F

Re: molar Gibbs free energy

Postby Kevin Xu 4F » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:47 pm

I think when you are referring to calculating the standard change in gibbs free energy, that is G not, the delta H and delta S in this case are the delta H not and delta G not at standard temperature and pressure, 25 degrees C and 1 atm. Thus, the delta H and delta S remain constant while the temperature is changing, and the delta G calculated is delta G not. Delta G reaction however, would have varying values for delta H and delta S based on the reaction temperature.

vpena_1I

Re: molar Gibbs free energy

Postby vpena_1I » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:04 pm

Kevin Xu 4F wrote:I think when you are referring to calculating the standard change in gibbs free energy, that is G not, the delta H and delta S in this case are the delta H not and delta G not at standard temperature and pressure, 25 degrees C and 1 atm. Thus, the delta H and delta S remain constant while the temperature is changing, and the delta G calculated is delta G not. Delta G reaction however, would have varying values for delta H and delta S based on the reaction temperature.

The problem I am referring to doesn't specify, but I thought it was talking about ΔGrxn.
It reads
"4J.3 Calculate the change in molar Gibbs free energy for the process NH3(l) --> NH3(g) at 1 atm and (a) -15C; (b) -45C (see Tables 4C.1 and 4F.1). In each case, indicate whether vaporization would be spontaneous."

In the solutions manual, it says to use the formula
ΔG=ΔHvap-TΔSvap

Like you said, I thought ΔHvap and ΔSvap would be specific to only one temperature, being the temperature at which NH3 vaporizes. That's why I am confused as to why the solution to this problem would be just to plug in the different temperatures into the same formula.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”