Kekule Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maya Johnson 2a

Kekule Structures

Postby Maya Johnson 2a » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi, can someone explain Kekule structures please?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Kekule Structures

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:29 pm

Generally, Kekule structures are very similar to Lewis structures, in that they show lines for chemical bonds, but differ in that they do not show lone pairs. More specifically, you may be talking about Kekule's famous structure for benzene, where he shows alternating single and double bonds between the six carbons in the benzene ring. Many organic structures with aromatic rings will be shown in this way, with alternating single and double bonds, even though we now know that this is generally an incorrect way of thinking about resonance. The more correct way is to think of the electrons as being equally shared, somewhere between a single and a double bond.

Katelynn Shaheen 2C

Postby Katelynn Shaheen 2C » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Kekule structures are Lewis structures. They show an inaccurate representation because they suggest both carbon-carbon double bonds and carbon-carbon single bonds (aka two different types of carbon-carbon bonds in benzene).

LeanneBagood_2F

Postby LeanneBagood_2F » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 am

this sounds very unfamiliar to me, was it mentioned in lecture previously? if so, can someone tell me which one please?

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”