Relation to Internal Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samanthaywu

Relation to Internal Energy

Postby samanthaywu » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:53 pm

I'm a little confused what the relationship between internal energy and enthalpy is. Other than delta U = q + w, what are the relationships we need to know and what conditions are those under (constant pressure, constant volume, etc.)

Shanna Yu 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Relation to Internal Energy

Postby Shanna Yu 1C » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:19 am

Hi!

You kind of already illustrate how internal energy and enthalpy relate to each other in your question, but I can maybe rephrase it in a way where it's more obvious: H (enthalpy)= U (internal energy) + PV (work). Enthalpy is just the sum of the internal energy of the system and the product of pressure times the volume.

At constant pressure, deltaH is equal to the heat absorbed at said constant pressure. At constant volume, deltaH is equal to the internal energy of the system.

I don't think these statements are all-encompassing, so if someone wants to come by and add more, please do!

Griffin G

Postby Griffin G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Basically like,,i a situation isn't doing any work, the internal energy is the same as the enthalpy, because enthalpy is the heat energy stored in a system.

Joshua_Chan_3K

Postby Joshua_Chan_3K » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:29 pm

Honestly U = q + w is the only equation you need to know. The others are all derived from that for instance under constant volume, no work can be done because work is distance times force so if no movement is completed, work is not done. Under those circumstances, U = q = delta H.

Ranen_Chang_2G

Postby Ranen_Chang_2G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm

There was a textbook problem that really illustrates the connection between internal energy and enthalpy in constant pressure and constant volume. (4B.9). Through the equation U=q+w, w=0 because if volume is constant () then no work is being done, so U=q.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”