Accuracy of methods for finding enthalpy.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sophia Schiro

Accuracy of methods for finding enthalpy.

Postby Sophia Schiro » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Does anyone know how accurate each of the three methods for calculating the enthalpy of a reaction are? And how do we know which method to use?

Katie Shi 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Accuracy of methods for finding enthalpy.

Postby Katie Shi 1F » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:34 pm

Using bond enthalpies is the least accurate method as these are found using averages of different molecules. Using Hess's Law and standard reaction enthalpies is more accurate as these values are more individualized. We should know what method to use just based on what information is given to us in the problem.

Tala Ayoub 1H

Re: Accuracy of methods for finding enthalpy.

Postby Tala Ayoub 1H » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:36 pm

I believe that using bond enthalpies is the least accurate method as mentioned by Professor in class today, and I'd assume that both using Hess's method and the enthalpy change of formation would be equally accurate although I'm not entirely sure. Additionally, I'd assume that we could use either one unless specified in the question as they'd all give the same result, personally, I wouldn't use the bond enthalpy method because as mentioned by Dr. Lavelle it is the least accurate.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”