State properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shane_Yu_3K

State properties

Postby Shane_Yu_3K » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:20 pm

Hello,

Can anyone tell me why only state properties can be added or subtracted?

Thank you!

Ayaan_Ekram_2J

Re: State properties

Postby Ayaan_Ekram_2J » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:45 pm

Hello!

State properties are properties where the final and initial values do not depend on the path taken to get to the final value. Thus, a change in volume, for instance, does not depend on the many changes that occur between the beginning and the end but only the final and initial values matter. One could have the same change on volume from decreasing volume directly and from increasing then decreasing volume. Other types of functions do not share this property. I hope this helps!

Mandy Mg 2J

Postby Mandy Mg 2J » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:10 pm

State properties are not path functions, meaning the difference of the final and initial value are not dependent on the path taken to get from the initial value to the final one. Therefore, you can simply add and subtract values if functions have state properties.

Jaylin Hsu 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jaylin Hsu 1C » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:56 pm

Hi, so a state function, like enthalpy, depends solely on the final and initial states. This is in contrast to path functions, where the path taken to reach the final state from the initial state is taken into consideration. It helps to visualize climbers, where their specific path taken to the top of the mountain matters.

Brooke Gushiken 1B

Postby Brooke Gushiken 1B » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:51 pm

Hi! For state properties, you only need the final and initial values to find the overall value, which allows you to add and subtract this type of property. I usually think of the mountain analogy to remember the definition of state properties, where it doesn't matter which path you take, as long as you start and end at the same place.

Neeti Indiresan 3I

Postby Neeti Indiresan 3I » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:26 am

State properties can be added or substracted because they only depend on the initial and final values, but not the path taken. For example, if a group of hikers was climbing a mountain, you could say that the change in altitude is a state function because regardless of what path they take, the initial to final altitude won't be affected. On the other hand, the distance they walked is not a state function because they didn't necessarily take a straight path, so the path they choose to take affects the distance traveled.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”