Bond Enthalpy Values

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chelsea Culi 3F

Bond Enthalpy Values

Postby Chelsea Culi 3F » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:30 am

Are we going to be given a table of bond enthalpies to use during tests?

Maia V 1L

Re: Bond Enthalpy Values

Postby Maia V 1L » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:12 am

I don't think we are expected to memorize bond enthalpies, so the enthalpies will probably be given

Rose Arcallana 2B

Postby Rose Arcallana 2B » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 pm

Yes, we would be given it. The trick I think will be to differentiate if we'll be using a + for bond breaks and - for bonding for each of the bonds that changed from reactants to products. Also, make sure to include the phase change heat value if it does under such physical change.

Alyssa Gutierrez 3A

Postby Alyssa Gutierrez 3A » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:23 am

Chelsea Culi 3F wrote:Are we going to be given a table of bond enthalpies to use during tests?

In addition to this question, what exactly are bond enthalpies? I know that they are values of something, but what exactly do they represent?

Manya Bajaj 3H

Postby Manya Bajaj 3H » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:06 am

Alyssa Gutierrez 3A wrote:
Chelsea Culi 3F wrote:Are we going to be given a table of bond enthalpies to use during tests?

In addition to this question, what exactly are bond enthalpies? I know that they are values of something, but what exactly do they represent?

Hey, bond enthalpies are essentially the energy needed to separate the atoms in a bond (to break the bond). In the table of bond enthalpies, the values given represent the energies required to break one mole of bonds in gaseous molecules under standard conditions.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”