Clarifying Standard Enthalpies of Formation and Standard Reaction Enthalpy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jack Amos 2I

Clarifying Standard Enthalpies of Formation and Standard Reaction Enthalpy

Postby Jack Amos 2I » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:00 am

Does each molecule in a given reaction have a standard enthalpy of formation? Or is my understanding of the difference between standard reaction enthalpy and standard enthalpy of formation incorrect?

Re: Clarifying Standard Enthalpies of Formation and Standard Reaction Enthalpy

Postby 905783577 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:58 am

Each molecule does, however lone elements do not.

Sujin Lim 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Sujin Lim 1H » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:45 am

Standard Enthalpy of Formation is the enthalpy change of a reaction (i.e. reaction enthalpy) for a chemical reaction done under standard conditions where one mole of a substance is formed from the most simple/stable elements that make up that substance. On the other hand Standard Reaction Enthalpy is just the reaction enthalpy for a chemical reaction done under standard conditions. The Standard Reaction Enthalpy value does not necessarily have to be for a chemical reaction where the products are formed from the most stable elements, but the standard enthalpy of formation does.

Michelle_Duong_3H

Postby Michelle_Duong_3H » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm

Hello,

Standard enthalpy of formation is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of substance is formed from its elements in their most stable forms. The standard enthalpy of formation for an element in its most stable form is equal to 0.

Standard reaction enthalpy is the enthalpy of a reaction when the reactants and products are in standard state. For a gas, this is at 1 atm and for a solution, this is 1 M. For both, the temperature is 25 degrees C. This does not necessarily mean that a compound is being formed from its elements.

Hope this helps!

Mia Yamada 1J

Postby Mia Yamada 1J » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:10 pm

To calculate the standard enthalpy change of formation, take the sum of the standard enthalpies of formation of the products and subtract from it the sum of the standard enthalpies of formation of the reactants.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”