textbook 4D.9 / enthalpy density

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

lily_oneal_2B

textbook 4D.9 / enthalpy density

Postby lily_oneal_2B » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 pm

The enthalpy of formation of trinitrotoluene (TNT) is -67 kJ·mol^-1, and the density of TNT is 1.65 g·cm^-3. In principle, it could be used as a rocket fuel, with the gases resulting from its decomposition streaming out of the rocket to give the required thrust.
In practice, of course, it would be extremely dangerous as a fuel because it is sensitive to shock. Explore its potential as a rocket fuel by calculating its enthalpy density (enthalpy released per liter) for the reaction 4 C7H5N3O6 (s) +  21 O2 (g) --> 28 CO2 (g) + 10 H2O (g) + 6 N2 (g).

I believe I understand how to do most of the question, but I am stuck on the final conversion. I added up the enthalpies of formation and divided by 4 (moles of TNT) to get 3292 KJ/mol. How do I do the final conversion to get this number per liter?

Anna Wilborn-1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: textbook 4D.9 / enthalpy density

Postby Anna Wilborn-1L » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:30 pm

First you need to divide by the molar mass of TNT to get from kJ/moles to kJ/grams.
Once you are in grams, you need to convert grams to L by converting to cm^3 first(1.65g/1cm^3). Then convert to liters (10^3cm^3/1L)

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”