Enthalpy/Qp

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

andreagutierrez 3K

Enthalpy/Qp

Postby andreagutierrez 3K » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 pm

Is enthalpy just to prove what type of reaction will be given or a type of change. Like is Qp=deltaH just to determine if it was an endothermic or exothermic reaction?

Ivy Nguyen 3I

Re: Enthalpy/Qp

Postby Ivy Nguyen 3I » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:19 am

Hi! I like to think of enthalpy as how much disorder there is in a system. Yes, positive or negative enthalpy can be an indication of an endergonic vs exothermic reaction but it is also used in the Gibbs free energy equation deltaG = deltaH - T*deltaS !

Kayla Arellano 1K

Re: Enthalpy/Qp

Postby Kayla Arellano 1K » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:30 am

andreagutierrez 3K wrote:Is enthalpy just to prove what type of reaction will be given or a type of change. Like is Qp=deltaH just to determine if it was an endothermic or exothermic reaction?

Enthalpy tells us the amount of heat released or absorbed at a constant pressure. If ΔH is negative, it means that the system releases heat and the surrounding become warmer which is an exothermic reaction. If ΔH is positive, it means that the system absorbs heat and the surrounding become cooler which is an endothermic reaction.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”