State properties and examples?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jess Liu 3I

State properties and examples?

Postby Jess Liu 3I » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 am

I understand state properties are values independent of the path to the state. For enthalpy, is it because the activation energy/reaction pathway does not matter that makes it a state property?

What are other examples of this concept?

Nina Chessa 2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: State properties and examples?

Postby Nina Chessa 2A » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:29 am

State properties do not depend on the pathway that a reaction takes. In other words, multiple different paths that start and end up in the same spots have the same values if we are measuring a state property.
Some other examples of this concept are altitude, entropy, volume, temperature, and internal energy. For all of these properties, we can get the change in the value by subtracting initial from final since the pathway in between does not matter.

Elise Van Meter 2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: State properties and examples?

Postby Elise Van Meter 2H » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:32 am

Hi! A state property (or state function) is a property that depends solely on the current state of the system and is independent of how that state was reached. Using this definition, pressure, volume, temperature, density, and enthalpy may all be understood to be state functions. Counterexamples would include both heat and work, as the amount of work done by a system is determined not by the current state of the system, but by the process by which this change is brought about, and the energy transferred as heat during a change in the state of a system is dependent upon the path taken to reach that state. I hope this is helpful!

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”