Second law of thermodynamics

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

kate 2h

Second law of thermodynamics

Postby kate 2h » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:15 am

The second law of thermodynamics says that a spontaneous process increases the entropy of the universe, but in an isolated system shouldn't it just increase the entropy of the system and not the surrounding environment?

Tiffany Wang 3L

Re: Second law of thermodynamics

Postby Tiffany Wang 3L » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:47 pm

I think increasing the entropy of a system increases the entropy of the universe because entropy of the universe is always increasing. In an isolated system, if the entropy of the system increases, then the total entropy of the universe from adding entropy of the system and entropy of the surroundings will increase.

Anthony Lau-Xiao 1E

Re: Second law of thermodynamics

Postby Anthony Lau-Xiao 1E » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:55 pm

Hello,

I think you are right. I think it just depends on what type of system you are looking at. In an open system it would be low or might decrease gradually as entropy of the universe/surroundings will increase instead. In an isolated system, entropy of an isolated system never decreases because isolated systems want to reach thermodynamic equilibrium to reach maximum entropy. But I am not sure, please correct me if I am wrong!

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”