Change in energy of a closed system

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nidhi Thati 3I

Change in energy of a closed system

Postby Nidhi Thati 3I » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:49 pm

The change in energy of a closed system is equal to q + w. Is work done when the system is compressed, and what is q in this? I know it results from the system being heated, but I was a little confused on the distinction between q and w.

Yanaa_Mehra_1K

Re: Change in energy of a closed system

Postby Yanaa_Mehra_1K » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:04 pm

Yes, when a system is compressed, work is done on the system and its internal energy increases. q is the heat transfer into or out of the system. if heat is transferred to the system it is +q, and if given out then -q. Similarly with work. If work is done on the system, it is +w and if done by the system, then -w. Both change the energy of the system but the only difference is that sometimes some of the energy is used up in the form of doing some work in the form of expansion or energy added by being compressed.

Jennifer Jin

Re: Change in energy of a closed system

Postby Jennifer Jin » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:07 pm

Work is positive if work is done on a system (giving it energy) while work becomes negative if the system does work on the environment (decompressing).

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”