Book Problem 4D.9

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Raya Amin 2A

Book Problem 4D.9

Postby Raya Amin 2A » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:14 pm

4D.9 The enthalpy of formation of trinitrotoluene (TNT) is -67 kJ/mol and the density of TNT is 1.65 g/cm^3. In principle, it could be used as a rocket fuel, with the gases resulting from its decomposition streaming out of the rocket to give the required thrust. In practice, of course, it would be extremely dangerous as a fuel because it is sensitive to shock. Explore its potential as a rocket fuel by calculating its enthalpy density (enthalpy change per liter) for the reaction:

4C7H5N3O6(s) + 21O2(g) -> 28CO2(g) + 10H2O(g) + 6N2(g)

For this question, I used enthalpies of formation to calculate the enthalpy of reaction and I got a negative enthalpy of reaction (-3292 kJ/mol). I then used this to calculate the enthalpy density, which was a negative value. The answer key has the exact same value that I do, but it is a positive value. Could anyone help me figure out how they got a positive value for this?

Thanks!

Carissa Liu 3A

Re: Book Problem 4D.9

Postby Carissa Liu 3A » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:15 pm

You are correct in that the enthalpy of the reaction is exothermic (negative value). However, the rocket uses this reaction as fuel and consumes it. Therefore the rocket requires energy input (endothermic) and would have the opposite sign as the reaction.
H rocket + H reaction = 0
H rocket = -H reaction
H rocket = -(-H reaction)
Thus, the H value that the rocket consumes would be positive.

Alyssa Gates 1H

Re: Book Problem 4D.9

Postby Alyssa Gates 1H » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 pm

Could anyone explain the last part to this problem? I understand how to get to 3292 kJ but after that I don't know what to do.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”