Bond Enthalpies vs. Mean Bond Enthalpy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ian Hurst 3L

Bond Enthalpies vs. Mean Bond Enthalpy

Postby Ian Hurst 3L » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Can someone explain to me why bonds have an enthalpy and a mean bond enthalpy? (What is the mean bond enthalpy an average of?) Also, which one do we use when solving problems?

Brenda Melano 3H

Re: Bond Enthalpies vs. Mean Bond Enthalpy

Postby Brenda Melano 3H » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:15 pm

I think mean bond enthalpy is the average enthalpy needed to break a certain type of bond (say a C-H bond) for all molecules with that (C-H) bond. Bond enthalpy or bond dissociation enthalpy is the energy needed to break a C-H bond in one particular molecule. I would assume that we use the average bond dissociation energy for problems because it would be too much work and data to keep in a textbook to use specific dissociation energies for one bond for all the molecules.

Re: Bond Enthalpies vs. Mean Bond Enthalpy

Postby 904564128 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Bond dissociation enthalpy is the energy needed to break one mole of the bond to give separated atoms - everything being in the gas state.
Now consider methane, CH4. It contains four identical C-H bonds, and it seems reasonable that they should all have the same bond enthalpy. However, if you took methane to pieces one hydrogen at a time, it needs a different amount of energy to break each of the four C-H bonds. Every time you break a hydrogen off the carbon, the environment of those left behind changes. And the strength of a bond is affected by what else is around it. In cases like this, the bond enthalpy quoted is an average value and is thus called a mean bond enthalpy.
You don't need to worry about which to choose, just use the values that you are given.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”