Why is H2O(g)'s enthalpy of formation magnitude smaller than that of H2O(l)?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Stella Huang 2C

Why is H2O(g)'s enthalpy of formation magnitude smaller than that of H2O(l)?

Postby Stella Huang 2C » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:14 pm

Hi! I was looking in Achieve's standard enthalpy of formation list and saw that H2O(g)'s standard enthalpy of formation is –241.8 kJ/mol, whereas H2O(l)'s standard enthalpy of formation is –285.8 kJ/mol.

I was wondering if anyone had any insights on what factor(s) determines the magnitude of the enthalpy of formation. I guess my assumption was that with phase changes taken into account (more energy/heat has to be put in to form a gas as opposed to a liquid), the magnitude of the standard enthalpy of formation of gas would be higher than that of a liquid. Any clarification would be appreciated :-)

Bridget Vause 1A

Re: Why is H2O(g)'s enthalpy of formation magnitude smaller than that of H2O(l)?

Postby Bridget Vause 1A » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:36 pm

Hi!

Your thinking is exactly right! Because you have to add heat to H2O(l) to turn it into a gas (which is an endothermic process), the enthalpy of formation will be slightly less exothermic than that of H2O(l).

Hope this helps! :)

Stella Huang 2C

Re: Why is H2O(g)'s enthalpy of formation magnitude smaller than that of H2O(l)?

Postby Stella Huang 2C » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:54 pm

Bridget Vause 1A wrote:Hi!

Your thinking is exactly right! Because you have to add heat to H2O(l) to turn it into a gas (which is an endothermic process), the enthalpy of formation will be slightly less exothermic than that of H2O(l).

Hope this helps! :)

Hey Bridget! I appreciate your response. That makes a lot of sense in that because we must apply heat to convert liquid to gas, the enthalpy of formation will be less negative for gas compared to liquid.

Colin Wong 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Colin Wong 1C » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:16 pm

H2O (g) enthalpy of formation is smaller than H20 (l) because head is needed in order to turn h20 into a gas, this would make the process "less" endothermic, and smaller than the liquid h20

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”