Heat Capacity: molar versus specific

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Remi Lathrop 1G

Heat Capacity: molar versus specific

Postby Remi Lathrop 1G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 am

I understand that there are two types of heat capacities, molar heat capacity and specific heat capacity. What is the difference between the two and what type of problems require each one/when do you use one as opposed to the other?

Harsha 1J

Re: Heat Capacity: molar versus specific

Postby Harsha 1J » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 am

specific heat capacity is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 K, whereas molar heat is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 mole of a substance by 1 k.

Hannah Chew 2A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Hannah Chew 2A » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 am

Molar heat capacity measures how much heat is needed to increase the temperature of one mole of that substance by one degree while specific heat capacity measures how much heat is needed to increase the temperature of one gram by one degree. I believe specific heat capacity is used in calorimeter problems where you are given the mass of a substance (for example: water). I would look at what units the problem gives to determine which heat capacity to use.

Ramya Lakkaraju 1B

Postby Ramya Lakkaraju 1B » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Yes, whenever the mass of a substance is given in grams, use specific heat capacity. If it is given in moles, use molar heat capacity.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”