Intensive vs Extensive  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sabrina Dunbar 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Intensive vs Extensive

Postby Sabrina Dunbar 1I » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Why do we want to use extensive properties instead of intensive properties if possible? What is we are only given intensive to use for a calculation? Thanks!

Kevin Tabibian 1A

Re: Intensive vs Extensive

Postby Kevin Tabibian 1A » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

We generally prefer extensive properties in chemistry because they are more specific. I would guess that your second question depends on the specific chemistry question you're answering.

Diane Bui 2J

Postby Diane Bui 2J » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Actually, we want to use intensive properties if possible because they are much more useful. Extensive properties depend on the amount of substance, while intensive properties do not depend on the amount of substance.

Jeremiah Samaniego 2C

Re: Intensive vs Extensive  [ENDORSED]

Postby Jeremiah Samaniego 2C » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Adding on to the above, because intensive properties are independent of sample size, they do not change when the size of the sample is changed, and therefore, are more useful. Also take note that some intensive properties are the ratio of two extensive properties, such as specific heat capacity, which is the ratio of heat capacity (an extensive property) to mass (another extensive property).

Mitch Mologne 1A

Postby Mitch Mologne 1A » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Also to add, extensive properties are just things that we can alter about the substance not just the amount.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”