Heat and temp difference

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AtreyiMitra2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Heat and temp difference

Postby AtreyiMitra2L » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 am

Why is it that in isothermal, reversible expansion heat can be done if heat is defined as the transfer of energy due to a temperature difference? I understand that the change in internal energy must be 0 for ideal gases so heat must be involved but I dont understand it past this. Thanks!

Remi Lathrop 1G

Re: Heat and temp difference

Postby Remi Lathrop 1G » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am

I'm not entirely sure what your question means, but for isothermal, reversible expansion of a gas we know that the gas is expanding at a constant temperature, therefore the system is doing work because the gas is expanding (changing volume). We know that work can be calculated by finding P∆V, so if there is change in volume there will be work done. While the system is doing work it is simultaneously losing energy, but this energy is replaced by heat flowing into the system from the surroundings.

The reaction is at constant temperature the whole time, but this constant temperature is achieved through an exchange of heat from the surroundings into the system. Hopefully this helps!

Julia Cheng 2J

Re: Heat and temp difference

Postby Julia Cheng 2J » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 am

Isothermal just means that there's no change in temperature of the system, but there is still an exchange of heat between the system and the surroundings.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”