Heat capacity vs. enthalpy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanna Pham - 2D

Heat capacity vs. enthalpy

Postby Joanna Pham - 2D » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Could someone please explain what the difference between heat capacity and enthalpy is? I’m still a bit confused.

Thanks!

Daisylookinland

Re: Heat capacity vs. enthalpy

Postby Daisylookinland » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm

If I understand correctly, I believe that heat capacity is sort of a sub-category of enthalpy. Enthalpy is the study of heat released or absorbed in chemical reactions and physical changes, where heat capacity is simply the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of an object by 1 degree C.

Kelsey Warren 1I

Postby Kelsey Warren 1I » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Enthalpy is basically the heat possessed within a system, but we usually talk about enthalpy changes, which are the changes in heat within a system. Heat capacity is the heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree C. So heat capacity has to do with heat entering/leaving a system so it is related to enthalpy but is also a very specific property of each substance.

Nico Edgar 4L

Postby Nico Edgar 4L » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Heat Capacity is the amount of energy needed to heat an amount of something by 1 degree celsius. Enthalpy is the energy released or gained during a reaction.

Brian Chang 2H

Postby Brian Chang 2H » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am

Heat Capacity is the amount of energy required to increase the temperature of a substance by 1-degree Celcius.

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise 1g or 1mol of a substance by 1-degree Celcius.

Enthalpy is the measure of (heat) energy in a system. A reaction can be exothermic (negative delta H) or endothermic (positive delta H).

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”