Specific Heat Capacity, Molar Heat capacity, and the Third?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew F 2L

Specific Heat Capacity, Molar Heat capacity, and the Third?

Postby Andrew F 2L » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 pm

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms what the specific heat and molar heat capacity mean? Dr. Lavelle also mentioned a third one that I forget! I am confused what we will be doing with these values and how the problems will be structured around these concepts. I just know that the molar heat capacity includes moles rather than grams I believe?

Caroline Beecher 2H

Re: Specific Heat Capacity, Molar Heat capacity, and the Third?

Postby Caroline Beecher 2H » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:35 pm

The three things Dr. Lavelle was talking about are heat capacity, molar heat capacity, and specific heat capacity (also called specific heat). Heat capacity is the heat required to raise the temperature of any object by 1 degree Celsius and is a more general term than the others. Molar heat capacity is the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 mole of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Moreover, specific heat capacity is the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Where heat capacity is an extensive property, molar heat capacity and specific heat capacity are intensive properties.

Ruth Glauber 1C

Postby Ruth Glauber 1C » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:20 am

I think he was calling specific attention to the fact that specific heat capacity and specific heat are the same thing?

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:48 pm

Caroline Beecher 2H wrote:The three things Dr. Lavelle was talking about are heat capacity, molar heat capacity, and specific heat capacity (also called specific heat). Heat capacity is the heat required to raise the temperature of any object by 1 degree Celsius and is a more general term than the others. Molar heat capacity is the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 mole of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Moreover, specific heat capacity is the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Where heat capacity is an extensive property, molar heat capacity and specific heat capacity are intensive properties.

i kept getting them confused, thanks for the explanation

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”