Calorimeter

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

eduardomorales5

Calorimeter

Postby eduardomorales5 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:05 pm

If we are given the heat capacity of the calorimeter, do we use that heat capacity to calculate the heat released by a chemical reaction? Or do we use the heat capacity of the molecules in the calorimeter?

Ipsita Srinivas 1K

Re: Calorimeter

Postby Ipsita Srinivas 1K » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:04 pm

You can use either? Assuming that no heat is lost to the surroundings, the q value should be same whether you calculate heat gained by the calorimeter or heat lost by the system; it really depends on whichever is more convenient for you, and the data given. But you cannot use the heat capacities interchangeably; if you are using the temperature change and molar mass of the system's molecules, you can only use the system's specific heat capacity!

Daria Azizad 1K

Postby Daria Azizad 1K » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:06 pm

The heat released by the chemical reaction will be equal to the heat absorbed by the calorimeter. So,
(mass of calorimeter) x (C of calorimeter) x (change in temp) = (mass of substance) x (Cs) x (change in temp)

DLee_1L

Postby DLee_1L » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Daria Azizad 1K wrote:The heat released by the chemical reaction will be equal to the heat absorbed by the calorimeter. So,
(mass of calorimeter) x (C of calorimeter) x (change in temp) = (mass of substance) x (Cs) x (change in temp)

For the calorimeter side of this equation, you would not include the mass of the calorimeter. I believe the specific heat for calorimeters do not include mass.

Megan Cao 1I

Postby Megan Cao 1I » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:54 am

I think you would use the heat capacity of the calorimeter, since it's what's absorbing the heat of the reaction.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”