Max Heat Capacity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Leslie Almaraz 4G

Max Heat Capacity

Postby Leslie Almaraz 4G » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:02 pm

is there a max heat capacity on a system?

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Max Heat Capacity

Postby VPatankar_2L » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:06 pm

I don't believe that there is a maximum heat capacity for a substance. The heat capacity given for that particular substance is the amount of heat energy necessary to increase the temperature of that substance by one unit per mass. This suggests that there is a set value for the heat capacity for a substance.

VPatankar_2L

Postby VPatankar_2L » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:06 pm

I don't believe that there is a maximum heat capacity for a substance. The heat capacity given for that particular substance is the amount of heat energy necessary to increase the temperature of that substance by one unit per mass. This suggests that there is a set value for the heat capacity for a substance.

Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I

Postby Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:09 pm

I'm not sure what "max" heat capacity refers to but a system's heat capacity is the amount of pressure needed to increase the temperature of 1 gram or 1 mole of the substance by 1 degree Celsius. If dealing with mass, its how much energy is needed to increase 1 gram of a substance. If dealing with moles, it's how much energy is needed to increase 1 mole of a substance by 1 degree. Make sure to use the correct value when plugging them into equations

Kassidy Ford 1I

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm

heat capacity is a constant depending on the substance. The substance will have different heat capacities depending on what phase it is in.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”