Reversible Process

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AlyssaYeh_1B

Reversible Process

Postby AlyssaYeh_1B » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:26 pm

What does it mean for a process to be reversible? I read the section in the textbook (4A.3), but it still doesn't make sense to me.

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Reversible Process

Postby VPatankar_2L » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:56 pm

A reversible process can occur in either direction; it can be reverted back to its original position through very small changes made to the surroundings.

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:22 pm

In lecture, Lavelle said that a system at equilibrium is a reversible system. I am kind of confused on what kind of system would be irreversible?

Orrin Zhong 4G

Postby Orrin Zhong 4G » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:09 pm

This video was really helpful to understanding it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdM0DzlS3fQ. A reversible system happens when changes to the system and to the surroundings can be reversed. The changes in a reversible system are infinitesimally small, such that the system is always in equilibrium. In an irreversible system, changes to the system are not always at equilibrium and occur spontaneously, tending towards higher entropy. There is no way to reverse these changes towards higher entropy, since according to the second law of thermodynamics, even if you try to reduce the entropy of the system, the increase in entropy of the surroundings will be even greater. Thus more energy is put into generating heat rather than work in irreversible systems compared to reversible systems.

Pablo 1K

Postby Pablo 1K » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 pm

As somewhat indicated in the n are reversible reactions can return to their former state and I believe there isn't much fo a change so that is why this can happen.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”