Sig figs and calorimetry example

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Payton Kammerer 2B

Sig figs and calorimetry example

Postby Payton Kammerer 2B » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:54 pm

On last Monday's lecture, Prof Lavelle did a problem solving calorimetry example, and I am confused about the way that the significant figures were calculated. The given temperatures were 25 and 31.9 degrees Celsius, and the delta T calculated was 6.9 degrees, but. it was my understanding that sig figs for subtraction were determined by the component with the highest degree of doubt; which means that the 25 number without a decimal would make the final answer 7 rather than 6.9, with only one sig fig. The final answer given was -2.9 kJ, with 2 sf.

GFolk_1D

Re: Sig figs and calorimetry example

Postby GFolk_1D » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:07 am

I believe in this example he was more emphasizing the process of solving those type of problems and wanted to show us accurate calculations (before sig fig rounding)

Amy Pham 1D

Re: Sig figs and calorimetry example

Postby Amy Pham 1D » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 am

Your rationale for sig figs is correct! But I believe that when Dr. Lavelle did this in class example, he wanted to focus more on the method for solving calorimetry heat transfer types of problems than being too picky about sig fig rules. On a test I think the sig figs of the given values would likely be more precisely and deliberately chosen.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”