Work in a Constant Volume

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Linette Choi 3L

Work in a Constant Volume

Postby Linette Choi 3L » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Hello! I know that work is equal to 0 when volume is constant but can someone explain why we can assume that?

Sofia Azmat 1I

Re: Work in a Constant Volume

Postby Sofia Azmat 1I » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:50 pm

You're describing an isochoric process or as you stated, a constant volume process. The formula for work is w=PΔV, and if there is a constant volume, that means there is ZERO change in volume. Because ΔV = 0 , any P value that you multiply it by is going to give you 0 for work. w=P(0) will always mean work equals zero.

Another way to think about work is graphically, with your x-axis being V and y-axis being pressure and work equaling the area under the curve. Since volume remains constant, there is no area under the curve, therefore giving you zero. If you look up a constant volume graph vs a constant pressure graph, you can see this visually.

Simrah_Ahmed1J

Postby Simrah_Ahmed1J » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:53 pm

Mathematically, it is from the w=PΔV equation. But the way to think about it, in general, is that because that no work of expansion is done (like when it comes to solids and liquids), the volume of the reactants and products is equal. That's why there is no change in volume when there is no work!

Julianna_flores3E

Postby Julianna_flores3E » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:55 pm

At a constant volume, work can be defined as force x distance since there is no change in volume (distance) then the equation if force x 0 = 0 therefore, work =0.

Hannah_Kim_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:58 pm

Since the equation for work of expansion in w=-PdeltaV, if the volume is constant, it makes delta v 0 since there is no change in volume. Since anything multiplied by 0 is 0, we can assume work will be 0.

LovepreetSran_3H

Postby LovepreetSran_3H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:23 pm

In the equation w= -PdeltaV if the volume is constant then the change in volume is zero. Therefore -P(0) = 0 showing why the work is 0 at constant volume.

Taylor K 2D

Postby Taylor K 2D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Conceptually: when there is no change in volume, there is no expansion or compression, and therefor no work being done. Mathematically: for the equation w = -P∆V, and so if the change in volume is zero, then the work done will also be zero. for the equation w = -nRT ln V2/V1, the natural log of V2/V1 would become ln(1), which is zero, making work also equal to zero.

Uyen Trinh 3C

Postby Uyen Trinh 3C » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 pm

Sofia Azmat 1I wrote:You're describing an isochoric process or as you stated, a constant volume process. The formula for work is w=PΔV, and if there is a constant volume, that means there is ZERO change in volume. Because ΔV = 0 , any P value that you multiply it by is going to give you 0 for work. w=P(0) will always mean work equals zero.

Another way to think about work is graphically, with your x-axis being V and y-axis being pressure and work equaling the area under the curve. Since volume remains constant, there is no area under the curve, therefore giving you zero. If you look up a constant volume graph vs a constant pressure graph, you can see this visually.

Sofia explains this really well. I need to understand what it means literally for the volume to not change in the real world and then apply it to the formulas given.

Alexis Sanft 1E

Postby Alexis Sanft 1E » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:46 pm

Does this have anything to do with neutralization of a reaction, and if not what exactly is neutralization of a reaction and how do we know what we are solving for in this type of reaction?

Joshua_Chan_3K

Postby Joshua_Chan_3K » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:30 pm

We use the equation work = P times delta V so obviously if delta V is 0 then work = 0. I remember it using the equation I learned in physics which comes from the definition of work as distance times force. Work is dependent on a distance being acted upon so if there is no movement (constant volume) then work has to equal 0.

Pratika Nagpal

Postby Pratika Nagpal » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:37 pm

There are 2 ways to think about this, either conceptually or mathematically - the formula for work is PdeltaV and no change in volume delta v =0 , and therefore w=0. Another way to think about it since there is no expansion, there is no work done by the system. and therefore work is 0

Pratika Nagpal

Postby Pratika Nagpal » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 am

I don't exactly know how to relate this to neutralization of a reaction, but a neutralisation reaction is basically the reaction between an acid and a base to form a soluble salt and water. Neturalisation reactions are usually exothermic due to the formation of the bond between hydrogen and oxygen to yield liquid water. Since the reaction is exothermic, the work is being done by the system, work is negative.

Sondia Luong 1C

Postby Sondia Luong 1C » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:28 am

Since the equation for work is -P∆V, if volume is constant, that means ∆V = 0. Since ∆V equals 0, then work will also equal 0!

Aanya Tanti 3C

Postby Aanya Tanti 3C » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:30 am

In an irreversible reaction, w= -P x delta V. Thus if there is no change in volume, w must also be 0.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”