Calorimeter Values

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Linette Choi 3L

Calorimeter Values

Postby Linette Choi 3L » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:29 pm

Can someone break down what we can assume about a calorimeter in terms of values of volume, pressure, temperature, etc. when we're given a problem that involves one?

Simrah_Ahmed1J

Re: Calorimeter Values

Postby Simrah_Ahmed1J » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:46 pm

We can assume a calorimeter has constant pressure and usually constant volume as well because you're assuming it is a bomb calorimeter. It's the heat/temperature that changes inside the calorimeter as the reaction progresses, so that's why we use the Ccal= q/ΔT equation.

Hannah_Kim_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Since calorimeters are isolated systems, you can assume there is no external temperature influence or change in amount of substance.

Sofia Azmat 1I

Postby Sofia Azmat 1I » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:06 pm

It really depends on what the question is asking you to find. There is constant-volume calorimetry and constant-pressure calorimetry and maybe in the question you're being asked to calculate the change in internal energy or a change in enthalpy. A general assumption you can make is that a calorimeter is an ISOLATED system so no heat is being transferred between the calorimeter and its outside environment. I recommend reading through this for specific differences between the two and how they are related to heat capacity.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/bound ... lorimetry/

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”