Units

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew Nguyen 2K

Units

Postby Andrew Nguyen 2K » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:19 am

During thermochemistry for temperature will we be using the units of Kelvins or within Celsius? Also is the base unit for heat going to be J or kJ?

Sunny Xiao 1A

Re: Units

Postby Sunny Xiao 1A » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:10 am

If the problem is asking for change in temperature, it wouldn't matter. I think usually you would use Kelvins, though. For J vs kJ, it would depend on the units of the constant you use/are given.

Mandy Mg 2J

Postby Mandy Mg 2J » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:44 pm

Considering Kelvin and Celsius are of the same scale (0 C = 273 K), either can be used because a change in temperature is primarily what we are calculating in thermochemistry. But always make sure to mind the units of the constants in any given problem; if you had to use specific heat capacities, you would have to use Celsius, but if you were given molar heat capacities, you would use Kelvin.

J or kJ should work. Just make sure that if you have a value in J, don't add a value of kJ to it without converting one of the values so that units match.

Devon Shao 1E

Postby Devon Shao 1E » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:17 pm

I believe that both K/C and J/KJ are just different versions of the same measurement, as in Kelvin and Celsius are on the same measurement scale, and KJ are just J multiplied by 1000. Thus, just make sure that the units that you are working with match; for example, don't add or subtract a J value with a KJ value.

Aliza Hacking 1A

Postby Aliza Hacking 1A » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:08 pm

I think we will primarily use Kelvin because that is the unit that is taken in the pv=nrt equation among others, though we may still be given temperatures in Celsius and be expected to know we should convert them to Kelvin. For J vs kJ, as others have said I think it likely depends on the context of the problem/ whichever one uses fewer powers of 10 in the end, which will potentially be determined by whether the problem is asking about total reaction enthalpy or bond enthalpy for example. :)

Harrison Lin 2J

Postby Harrison Lin 2J » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:22 pm

It depends on what is being asked. Most of the time, the problem will specify whether or not to use a specific heat value in Joules or kiloJoules. For temperature, it also depends on the formula being used. For almost all formulas, you will use Kelvin (and this can also be indicated by the units of the specific heat value or another variable given to you); however, if the problem asks for a change in temperature, it does not matter if it is Kelvin or Celcius.

For example: Calculating Delta T values
100 degrees celcius - 0 degrees ceclius = 100 degrees celcius
373 K - 273 K = 100 K

For change in temperatures, you will get the same value, regardless of whether it is Celcius or Kelvin.

Sara Dolmo 2J

Postby Sara Dolmo 2J » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:49 pm

I think we will be given the units interchangeably, and then it will be up to us to convert them into what the problem is asking for. If it is asking for Kelvin and we are given the celsius, we would [censored] 273 to the Celsius given value.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”