Is a bomb calorimeter an isolated or closed system?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brian Diehl 2B

Is a bomb calorimeter an isolated or closed system?

Postby Brian Diehl 2B » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 pm

Identify the system as open, closed, or isolated: c) a bomb calorimeter in which benzene is burned

Answer: isolated

Why is the bomb calorimeter considered an isolated system in this case? When benzene is burned, doesn't energy in the form of heat transfer out of the metal vessel and into the surroundings, making it a closed system?
Last edited by Brian Diehl 2B on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ayaan_Ekram_2J

Re: Textbook 4A.1

Postby Ayaan_Ekram_2J » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:59 pm

Hello!

A bomb calorimeter actually prevents heat from flowing to the surroundings so it is an isolated system. I hope this helps!

Brian Diehl 2B

Re: Textbook 4A.1

Postby Brian Diehl 2B » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:22 am

Ayaan_Ekram_2J wrote:Hello!

A bomb calorimeter actually prevents heat from flowing to the surroundings so it is an isolated system. I hope this helps!

That's what I thought at first, but the process of calibrating a bomb calorimeter requires measuring a change in temperature in order to find its heat capacity. This temperature change only occurs when a supply of heat transfers from the bomb into the surroundings. Otherwise, a thermometer placed in the water wouldn't be able to read this change if no heat flow takes place.

KPINTO 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Is a bomb calorimeter an isolated or closed system?

Postby KPINTO 1B » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:28 am

Hi! So I think that it is isolated rather than closed because is is sealed from its surroundings and causes a fixed volume which means that there is no volume-pressure work being done. Energy can not go in or out and that is why it is isolated. I think that the reaction you are talking about would still be considered isolated from the outside, but I may be wrong.

Brooke Gushiken 1B

Postby Brooke Gushiken 1B » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:12 pm

Hi! I think the bomb calorimeter is an isolated system because it prevents any matter and energy from entering and/or leaving the system and escaping into the surroundings.

Jaden Nguyen 2A

Postby Jaden Nguyen 2A » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:40 pm

A calorimeter will capture the heat released and this is done by the temperature change that you talk about. You can take the neutralization of an acid and base in a calorimeter for example. The neutralization releases heat into the water and the temperature of the water is the "surrounding" that you're talking about. From this we're able to calculate how much energy is released allowing you to calculate the specific heat of the calorimeter or whatever variables you need to find. The calorimeter will be an isolated system BECAUSE it traps all the energy to be able to calculate an accurate answer.

Madison Yee 2B

Postby Madison Yee 2B » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:48 pm

Bomb calorimeters are isolated systems because they prevent energy from flowing in or out of the system and they do not allow matter to be exchanged with the surroundings.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”